Thursday 2 August 2012

GOLD

You're no one until you go "GOLD" and I am not talking Olympic Medals!
Nor am I alluding to the Best Allotment Competition, although I am quietly confident again this year.
No, I am actually referring to the attainment of Life Member status of The Broadway Gentleman's Club and the possession of a Gold Members card.
Not only does this most coveted piece of plastic entitle me to free annual membership, a free outing to Glorious Goodwood and a free Christmas luncheon but also allows me to sit in the corner seats nearest the bar and toilets affectionately known as "God's Waiting Room".
These cards are very hard to come by and not only do you have to have been a member for 20 years and aged 65 on January 1st but, as I had to wait 6 months before taking delivery of my card, it would appear that you also have to wait for another Life Member to expire as there are only a limited number of cards.
Meanwhile, on the Lesley front there is a cloud hanging over the village.
As you are all well aware, no proper High Street got where it is today by not having at least three pubs, proper butchers, greengrocers and bakers shops, a minimum of two Curry Houses, a Fish and Chip shop and a Chinese take-away but most importantly a hardware emporium, where you don't have to buy a box of 200 nails or screws containing 99.9% more of the item than you need.
Lesley is no exception to this rule and Rudwick's Hardware Stores is the corner stone of the village, a veritable Aladdin's Cave of goodies and a regular Saturday morning meeting point for male caravan owners.
But an ugly rumour is circulating within the community that Rudwick's Hardware Stores is up for sale and the continued provision of fork handles is in jeopardy.

Prayers are being said every Thursday and Sunday in St. Peters Parish Church.
Meanwhile down at the plot everything is flourishing.

You would be forgiven for mistaking this for The Gardeners World show plot but NO, it's Plot 24A Prospect Allotments and looking bloody good too if I say so myself!!
As you can see not only have I got salad crops, potatoes, onions, garlic, courgettes, cucumbers, parsnips, leeks, carrots, celery, celeriac, beans of all shapes and sizes and a surfeit of soft fruit and berries, I have concealed somewhere within the 10 rod (pole or perch) area a set of Honda CRV car keys. To be precise the only set, resulting in a most frustrating Monday afternoon and evening.
It is not advisable to lose the only keys of a four wheel drive vehicle which is parked, in gear with the handbrake on, on a slope. The logistics of getting it on a recovery truck are complicated.
Suffice to say it took two recovery trucks and one and a half hours to get the car back to Cotswold Towers.
Then yesterday flushed with my success at receiving a "nice little earner" from the last race at Goodwood the day before in one hand, I receive a bill for £120 for those annoying but rather necessary car keys in the other.
Easy come, easy go!
At least we are now happily ensconced in our caravan at Lesley for 5 days enjoying the wind burn.

Before I leave for a walk on the beach at low tide followed by a pint or three of Brakespears Best in The Lifeboat, I'll leave you with my new theme song :

Hey Ho!