Monday 15 February 2016

Once upon a time in the West

Over the last year and a half, when I have had any spare time, I have been researching the history of my local pubs, The Fox and The Prince of Wales, the surrounding areas and more lately Farnborough in general.

I have discovered many interesting facts about the area and some of the more notable residents that I previously had no knowledge.

I have recently also picked up where I left off from researching “Family Baltzer” and starting to document a family tree.

Several people have asked me how and where I find the information so this blog entry is for them and anyone else who might want to do some research of their own.

In time I will include more articles on www.thefoxfarnborough.co.uk but I will also publish them as blog entries.

The maps, local history books and directories at Farnborough public library have been invaluable but it is the Encyclopaedia Internetica that has provided the vast majority of information and photographs.

Yes there is a lot of rubbish on the internet but also such an immense range of data, information and photographs which are constantly being added to and updated.

In case any of you are intending doing any historical research the obvious places to start are google, googleimages and wikipedia.

Facebook history groups also provided an invaluable source of information and interest:




These are sites that I have used to help trace my family history (free for limited information then subscription for detail):









Useful free sites for historical maps are:




Free historical directory sites:




Free local history sites:






Free general history sites:





If any of you do embark on any kind of research I’ll warn you now – there’s a lot of history out there - it will become an obsession and consume all your spare time, so good luck and if you come across any useful source of information that I haven't listed I would be grateful if you would let me know.


Hey Ho!