Tuesday 2 March 2010

Reflections on Retirement

Into March already and any time now the April edition of Kitchen Garden will be dropping on the door mat.

At least the rain has stopped although sadly the allotment is looking more like a paddy field than a vegetable plot. My autumn planted onion sets, well those that haven't already been pulled out by the pigeons, are floating on the surface.

Not only has it been very wet in this area but also we have had some very high winds.

Here is a photo of my polytunnel in which I was planning to get some extra early crops.


The more observant of you will notice that the "poly" element of the tunnel has gone AWOL. I would be grateful if anyone with any information on it's whereabouts, suspected to be somewhere in the Camberley area, could contact me ASAP as I have lots of young seedlings ready to be planted.

I have just read Colin Cotterill's latest Dr. Siri investigation, "The Curse of the Pogo Stick" in which there is a paragraph describing the effect of retirement on his good friend Comrade Civilai :

"Civilai had expanded in all directions like a man released from the grip of atmospheric pressure."

Well it's nearly four years since I bowed out and I can thoroughly recommend it.

However, I am constantly reminded of just how lucky I have been for there is not a week goes by when I don't think back to my last meeting with my late, great friend and colleague Alby Jolly when, over a pint or three, he was enthusiastically telling me of his plans to follow my lead after his next birthday.

Annoyingly there has been no response from 3 Mobile's Scottish Office, however my experiences did elicit the following excellent riposte from the Welsh bard:

Oh what tangled webs are wove
When you’re Baltzer, man of Cove!
In the complex IT maze,
Chris has had his better days,
But, desirous of a dongle,
Baltzer’s day went badly wrongle,
As, to Chris’s great frustration
He experienced something Asian...

It’s nice to know that mobile phones
Connect us all to distant zones,
But it’s a bummer when, perhaps,
We’re forced to chat with foreign chaps
Who claim to speak for British firms –
And open up a can of worms.
Their attitudes and accents are
Offensive to young Balthazar...

Commendably, our Mr B –
Who knows a bit about IT -
Maintained a modicum of calm,
Composure, and surprising charm.
And, to his credit – which, they said
He lacked – young Baltzer kept his head,
And kept his contract and his phone...
And entertained us with his moan!

Must sign off for now as I have to practice my telephone manner for the impending call to Rab C. Nesbitt