Thursday 7 June 2012

A bit of a mouthful!

Two weeks ago I had to attend the all too familiar Endoscopy Unit at Frimley Park hospital, this time not for “my usual” but for an introduction to the wonderful world of the esophagogastroduodenoscopy (gastroscopy) procedure.
As a seasoned colonoscopy “end-user” I was not anticipating any problems naively declining the anaesthetic and going for the throat spray only. A decision which I was soon to regret.
To say that the procedure was tortuous would be an understatement. I would have gladly have told my captors anything they wanted to know and more besides had I been able to talk. If fact had I been able to move I would have done a runner  but my head was anchored to the pillow by a great big hairy hand and my legs held together by the matching set of hairy digits.
“Concentrate on your breathing, Mr. Baltzer – concentrate on your breathing and swallow”, I was told as I alternatively wretched and belched while the camera man searched clumsily for the correct passage to pump the camera. Had I not had a great big plastic mouth guard keeping my teeth apart I would have been at pains to point out that it was bloody difficult to concentrate on anything while a garden hose was being shoved down your throat!
Thirty minutes the ordeal was over and I await the results of the umpteen biopsy's that were taken.
So, by comparison, today’s cortisone injection in my shoulder was a walk in the park and having been told to rest my arm for a week I now find myself at Lesley watching a repeat of a repeat of a repeat on ITV3, wondering what to, while the rain lashes down on the caravan roof.
So I have decided to write a new blog entry and in an attempt to brighten up my entries and make it easier to think of what to write about I have decided to embark on a new series of entries entitled “Lesley’s Greatest Hits” in which I will share 10 of my favourite music tracks and associated memories in various music genres.
The first series will be “The Early Years” and, as the rain has just given way to blue skies and sunshine, will commence tomorrow.

Meanwhile here’s a preview of the latest over 60 turn to top the bill on the big Lesley stage this coming Saturday night:




Can't wait!

Hey Ho!