Saturday 19 January 2013

Thanks for the lift!

Our trip to Weston-Super-Mud seems destined not to happen. I postponed this weekend's re-arranged trip on Thursday because of the approaching snowy weather and by the looks of the South West today it was a good thing that I did.

So I am sitting here looking out of the window at the freezing, snow covered garden wondering what adventures this Saturday will bring the Werewolf.

Well it won't be a football match that's for certain.

Boro's home game to Bath was called off yesterday afternoon and the only game on the TV at lunch time is St. Mirren v Ross County!!

The decorating is finished (although there are worrying rumblings about the state of our bedroom) and a visit to the allotment would be totally pointless in these conditions - at least this year I did have the foresight to remove the netting from my fruit cage earlier in the week.

So it looks like another afternoon of intellectual, stimulating and thought provoking conversation down at the Fox.

Hopefully it will finish up better than last Saturday afternoons debacle.

Originally we were going to Weston-Super-Mud last weekend so I turned down the chance of a ticket to the Cardiff v Ipswich match with the Welsh Bard and his brother-in-law.

I then had to postpone the trip because Janice hadn't finished decorating so as it turned out I could have gone but it was too late to get a ticket.

Instead, I decided to go to watch Boro at home to Dover. It was freezing cold and starting to sleet when I left and I called in the Fox for the customary one on the way to the ground.

The public bar was so warm and welcoming with the second half of the QPR v Spurs game on the box. I had a second pint, then a third and before I knew it was 3.15pm. The bar was getting lively - just one of those occasions where everyone was up for good drink and plenty of 50's and 60's music on the jukebox.

Bonnie, the land-ladies daughter, who was on bar duty and incidentally who I know from her school days with Karen, couldn't believe her eyes at the sight of the over sixties singing, falling over and generally having a good time.

Cooperman, a good friend of mine, called in on his way back from work and joined in the fun and selected a batch of Bobby Darin and Doris Day records. I have a nasty recollection that at one point photos were taken of the two of us performing a lively little duet to "The Deadwood Stage"!

At 6 (ish, I think) I prepared to wobble home in the cold and sleet but Cooperman, who had his truck outside, kindly offered me a lift home.

Janice was in the kitchen when I fell indoors, so I quickly de-togged and got comfortable in front of the tellie for a lazy night.

I was awoken almost immediately by "Where's the shopping?"

"Shit, shit, shit!", I was supposed to call in the Coop on the way home.

"Sorry dear, it was so cold and wet that Danny gave me a lift home", I offered as some sort of pathetic explanation.

"Well you just better get yourself back down to the Coop then!" was the icy reply.

Realising it was my only chance of getting anything to eat I re-togged and made my wobbly way back to the Coop in the icy sleet, shopped, queued up with all the lottery hopefuls and when I finally got to the till - "Shit, shit, shit!" - I hadn't got my wallet!

I wobbled back home, in the now driving sleet, collected my wallet and wobbled back once more to the Coop, re-queued behind even more last minute lottery hopefuls, collected my shopping and paid.

Eventually, 45 minutes after first arriving home, now very cold and wet, I returned to the comfort of my sofa and sent a text to Cooperman, "Thanks for the lift!!".

What I don't understand is how women can be so unsympathetic.

And to top of it all, Boro were 5-0 at half time going on to win 5-2!!!!

The best thing that could happen this afternoon is that I get snowed in the Fox!

Well, I'm off to do the shopping, BEFORE, I go down the pub!!

I leave you with a video of a typical Saturday afternoon down the Fox public bar:


Hey Ho!