Thursday 2 December 2010

I don't remember New Years Eve!

Only two days into December and with the country in the grip of ice and snow, airports closed and motorways littered with abandoned cars, one could be forgiven for thinking that it's January 2011 already. Especially in my case as I thumb through the pages of the January edition of Kitchen Garden which arrived through my door on November 25th!

Not that it will be possible to do anything remotely concerning gardening for the next three months except read about it. I have, however, made one trip to the allotment in the last week to remove the roof netting from my fruit cage, thus avoiding any repeats of the previous consecutive years collapses. I also took the opportunity to chisel out of the ground some leeks and parsnips.

Predictably, the following day I received an email from Ms. Lockwood of Harrod Horticulture advising customers to remove roof netting to avoid damage to their cages caused by heavy accumulations of snow and reminding them that damage caused in this way is not covered by the 10 year warranty. I'd like to think that my curt reply to her previous email, sent after the snowfall last year, had some bearing on the timing of this years warning.

I am now facing the prospect of three months with nothing to do but hopefully I will be able to create a few more websites for local small businesses.
Flushed with the success of implementing a site for The Guildford TUP (http://theguildfordtup.webs.com/) I have created a site to promote my services (http://covewebservices.webs.com/).
I would be grateful if you could spread the word and point any interested parties in my direction.

Since my last soccer update it's been thumbs up for Boro and a big thumbs down for the Super Blues.
Ipswich have had a disastrous run of four successive league defeats culminating in a woeful performance against the arch enemies in front of the live TV cameras and in the last 3 weeks have plummeted from 6th and in the play off spots down to 17th, only 4 points off the relegation zone.
You wouldn't start to understand how much I dislike Delia Bloody-Smith!
Amazingly, last night with 10 players out , either cup tied, injured or suspended, we bounced back in front of a paltry 11,000 supporters with a Carling Cup quarter final win against Premiership WBA.
Bring on the "Arse" in the semi finals - piece of metaphorical "wee wee".
Farnborough on the other hand are on an upward roll after two good league wins followed by a draw at home last Saturday when, having totally outplayed the opposition, they conceded a 91st minute equaliser from a very questionable free kick on the edge of the box. Still, that point now puts them in joint 3rd place and looking a good bet for a play off spot.
In the previous home game, a 2-0 victory against Chelmsford City, the apprentice allotmenteer and I were privileged to witness one of the goals of the season and probably the best goal ever scored at El Cherio.
I'll talk you through it:
The ball was cleared by their goalkeeper from the edge of the box and the ball landed at the feet of Daryl McMahon out on the left wing. He took two goes at teeing the ball up with his right foot then slammed it with his left a good 35 yards over the head of the hastily retreating goalkeeper and into the top right hand corner of the net.
Although there was no official recording of the game fortunately someone in the crowd had the foresight to record the moment albeit not in the best quality.
Thank goodness for mobile phones.
Watch it here on facebook - at the time of writing it's the 7th entry, entitled Daryl McMahon's wonder goal. You might have to replay it a few times to capture the moment.
While you are there also look at the one that got away last Saturday, McMahon again.
Apologies for the language but you have to admit no one can swear like a Scotsman.
My last few entries re the Saskatoon have provoked much response.
As usual "The Welsh Bard" came up trumps:

Baltzer, in Toon with the Moon,
Is obsessed with this strange Saskatoon...
Oh how we laughed! But Chris isn’t daft –
He’s moonbound, and off pretty soon!

As the state of the nation gets worse,
And Keano keeps proving a curse,
The answer is this – let’s all follow Chris...
I will, when I finish this verse!

As I look out of my window, I see it's snowing again - glad I'm off to the moon!

Are you going with me?