Monday 4 January 2010

Essential Reading

As I have already said I don't pay much heed to the so called TV celebrity gardeners.

Here are some recommended proper gardening books:

“The Alternative Gardener” by William Rushton
“Diggers Diary” by Victor Osbourne

And for the serious gardeners amongst you:

“Your Garden Week by Week by A. G. L. Hellyer

First published in 1936 and now sadly out of print, but still obtainable and as relevant as the day it was first published.

The elder statesmen amongst you will of course remember Mr Digwell and his cartoon series which featured weekly in the Daily Mirror from the end of the second world war until the late 1980’s. Updated for the 21st century by Paul Peacock, “Back to the Garden with Mr. Digwell” has recently been published in book form.

Talking of newspapers, I once worked for The East Anglian Daily Times which also featured a weekly gardening column. On one unfortunate occasion it ran with the headline, “WHERE TO FORCE YOUR RHUBARB”. Perhaps the gardening editor was a fellow haemorrhoid sufferer!

I must sign off again now as the moon is just passing from the “Air” Constellation to the “Fire” Constellation which roughly translated means that I have a narrow window of opportunity for a visit to the small room.

I am hoping that “Tooning In” my bowel movements will have a favourable effect on my Chalfonts!

Finally, I’m sure that none of you need reminding but, as Mr. Digwell would advise, January is the last opportunity to sow your exhibition onions.

To know which are the optimum days you will need to be “In Toon”!

Hey Ho!